Monday 1 November 2010

Egyptian Objects – Artistic Form

Have we been conditioned to view non-classical art in the ancient world as less “artistic?”  No one would argue that the art of the Classical period in Greece and Rome is not art, and yet, art from other parts of the world, including Ancient Egypt, is not considered to be true art.  This post will discuss some of the bias that is involved in the appreciation of Ancient Egyptian art.

As a trained artist (whatever that means) myself, I have been “conditioned” to consider art as something that is free-flowing, dynamic, and flexible (among other similar attributes).  The artist works within a framework either of realism or abstraction but is free to portray art as the artist wishes.  However, for most of the Pharaonic period in Egypt the art employed is anything but free-flowing, dynamic, or flexible.  Due to this, there has been a clear history among art critics through the centuries of treating Egyptian art as a lesser form.

I, myself, also felt this.  I love Egyptian art.  I prefer the traditional stoic form to that of Amarna period but I didn’t see Egyptian art as anything other than formulaic and thus “lesser”.  I now see the error of my ways.

I have been trained to see art as “dynamic” and thus I thought that the non-activity felt in the majority of Egyptian examples was proof that it wasn’t art in the sense that I felt art to be (ie freedom of expression).  However, what is to say that the way we see the world is the only or even the best way to look at it?  I would never judge the morality of the ancient world because I understand that they were living with a different world-view.  So why do I try to hold them to the same standard in art that I am used to?

The truth is (after careful examination) that there was freedom for the ancient Egyptian artist.  Even the scribe (of hieroglyphs) had a certain amount of freedom (in fact, far more than the modern writer does).  Petrie always said that archaeology was attention to detail.  He noted the same in art.  A curve of the lips, a dip in the eyes, etc could help us to identify the style of certain artists.

In fact, even the idea that Egyptian art is “still” or “unmoving” is wrong.   In its own distinct way, Egyptian art is dynamic and creative.  What may at first appear to be formulaic, at closer examination, is actually delightfully expressive.  Each panel of wall design, statue, or vignette demonstrates the artist’s freedom to design.

Perhaps one of the problems for art critics is the lack of material.  A lot of Egyptian tomb/temple walls, statuary, and papyri were lost through the millennia.  However, what does remain is sufficient to demonstrate the unique characteristics that make Egyptian art unpredictable.

The next time you have the opportunity to gaze at the work of these ancient artists, check your preconceptions at the door, look closer, and enjoy a truly distinctive (and now lost) mode of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment